Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Sound and Audio
Register Forgot Password?

Old 02-05-11   #1
teh nuB!
Gone Days Come Back.

Need Good Headphones(Siberia V2 Vs HD555 Vs AD700 Vs Grado Sr80i Vs Megadolon)

Hey guys,
Its been a LONG time since i posted on erodov. So, First of all How are all of you?

There you have it, enough with the cute talk, business beckons. xP

So, i had the phillips shp2500 for quite some time now, and i broke them at about SIX<6> different places, not that i am abusive, but the build quality really doesnt hold. The ergonomics were pretty nice, but again the build quality spoiled my day.
Now, there is really something i have to mention here-
****1.The volume- The 2500 @ 750 rs really have good sound reproduction. Only if you can hear it. The thing is, i have onboard audio(rlc88+srs) and the volume the 2500's give me is terrible. It is really distracting and annoying while watching movies and listening to music. But during games, it really is ok, the sound has a certain crispness and tight bass. So now you know one of the things i prefer.*****

Continuing with the story, i got sennheiser's HD202's as a gift. They are awesome. Really. The bass is exactly spot on and the volume and density of the sound is really rich. The problem with them is that they are a bit uncomfy. I prefer more ear coverage. So, circumaural is the way to go.
Again i mention, My PC's onboard audio handles them fairly well, atleast i can hear stuff. During games, the volume becomes unbearable, and i have to lower it. But while vids and music, on the pc, i am somewhat left craving for more.

Now comes the major part. I have an E-72 now, which is a really awesome phone. It takes REAL advantage of everything the 202 has to offer. The bass is rich, the mids crisp and the highs orgasmic.
I listen to music mainly on the E72, and i prefer it that way. The 2500 fair better on the phone than on the pc, and i really dont care now, since the 202's are the primary.

So here comes the criteria-
1. Music- Mozart-like classical + House.
2. Movies- the whole bunch.
3. Games- it really doesnt matter here, as long as the Music part is handled, this is a piece of cake.

And here is the confusion-
1. I have to Upgrade to more comfortable cans. circumaural is first priority.
2. I dont really have the money for buying an amp. So its gotta perform well (atleast loud enough) on both my PC and my phone.
The pc is avoidable, since i'll prolly be ditching it for a laptop or a PC with a soundcard. The phone is the real priority. I can tell you that it handles the 202's very gracefully.
3. The open/closed thing really doesnt bother me much.

Based on the Thread name, i presented you with the options i shortlisted. I know its a weird list, but it started with the megadolon, which is NOT for anything else except PC. So its out of the question unless there's a workaround.
The sr80's are not circumaural but have nearly the best sound.
The AD700's i have no idea about.
The Hd555 i am not sure if my PC or my future laptop can drive them well enough. Other wise, they are the best option, and i am probably gonna buy these.
The siberia V2, i am confident about, just that they really dont provide that level of comfort and "audiophile-ness".

Please, gods of audio, tell me, How important is it to get an amp?
What do the HD555/AD700's sound like, au naturele??

Pls feel free to correct and suggest me better stuff.

~~~~EDIT-
Just saw the HD558's, and read they are a major improvement over The 555's.
How abt 558 + a fiio e5?
Should be barely affordable?
Also, can anyone tell/suggest me places to buy this stuff?

Last edited by jamil; 02-05-11 at 05:10 AM.
jamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
That's Me!

Rig Gallery

MOZ is highly ProminentMOZ is highly ProminentMOZ is highly Prominent
Re: Need Good Headphones(Siberia V2 Vs HD555 Vs AD700 Vs Grado Sr80i Vs Megadolon)

I have Siberia V1, and they are extremely light and I find them perfect for my ears.
MOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11   #3
Th[E] Troll
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Papa Donger

Xeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply Great
Re: Need Good Headphones(Siberia V2 Vs HD555 Vs AD700 Vs Grado Sr80i Vs Megadolon)

Considering your options, I have heard the HD555's and incidentally used it to hear classical and truth be told, I found it to be awesome, if you are looking for HD202-like bass you might want to look towards M50, but HD555 specializes in sound-stage and mids.
GTX580 Twin Frozr II
Silent Pro M700
Tempest 410 Elite
Xeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11   #4
teh spamm[E]R!
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished

AD700 are very easy to drive and can be easily run on Laptop/PC as well as Mobile, just that the big size of the HP would mean, you cannot use it outside(can use but will look silly).
HD555 would be a good option but are harder to drive than atleast the AD700.
No idea about the SR80, but do not even consider Siberia and Megadolon (I have both, and its good only for people who havent heard anything better, )
Maximus V Gene (MSI Z77-GD65, Gigabyte P67A-UD7, EVGA Classified E760,MSI Eclipse,DFI DK P45 Plus, Foxconn Mars, Asus P5Ne-SLI, Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi AP), Intel 3770k Benched @ 6.7Ghz, Intel 2600K Benched @ 5.7 Ghz, AMD 8150 Benched @ 7.45 Ghz, Intel 980X Benched @ 6.07Ghz, AMD 970BE Benched @ 6.63Ghz, (Intel i5 680 Benched @ 6.44Ghz, Intel i7 950 Benched @ 5150Mhz, Intel E8600 Benched @ 5.71Ghz, Intel QX9650 Benched @5.41Ghz, Intel Core2 Duo [email protected], e4300 @ 3.52 Ghz), Thermalright Venomous X, GSkill 6400 2 x 1 GB @ 1260Mhz , HIS 7970 (MSI GTX 580, MSI GTX 480, EVGA GTX295, Asus 4870 x2, EVGA 9800GX2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT, Nvidia 7900GTX, XFX 8600GT), DELL E248WFP Monitor, CoolerMaster Benchtable, Antec HCP 1200W, Altec Lansing 641 400 RMS Watts with Auzentech X-Plosion

SVGTECH HOC40 and HOC20 Review

Corsair Vengeance K90, M90 and M60 Review

Gigabyte P67 UD7 + Intel i7 2600k Preview

Strontium Ultra Speed 128GB SSD Review

Gigabyte GX-X58A-UD9 Review
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11   #5
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
That's Me!

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by thebanik View Post
I have both, and its good only for people who havent heard anything better
Well as long as I am happy, then no problemo.
Old 02-05-11   #6
teh spamm[E]R!
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished

Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
Well as long as I am happy, then no problemo.
Ofcourse, You have not even mentioned Sound Quality but just comfort-ability, and my comment was not at all targeted to you,
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11   #7
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Puny human

dexbg is extremely Renowned
dexbg is extremely Renowneddexbg is extremely Renowned

Budget budget ??

You have suggested a very wide price range.

HD555 can be easily driven with your basic/on-board Audio chipset.

?? SR80i ?? AD700 > M50 > HD555 > Siberia V2 > Megadolon

Originally Posted by jamil View Post
that level of comfort and "audiophile-ness".
Forget audiophile-ness .. its just a label .. just pick something that you enjoy and suits your listening preferences..

"I was there .. till the end"
dexbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11   #8
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
That's Me!

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by dexterboygenius View Post
Forget audiophile-ness .. its just a label .. just pick something that you enjoy and suits your listening preferences..
Wise man's words.
Old 02-05-11   #9
teh nuB!
Gone Days Come Back.

jamil is very Honorablejamil is very Honorable

Guys, Thanks for the responses.
The HD558'8 really improve over the AD700's and the HD555's. Google it. It has an improved soundstage and what not, but looser bass.

Sr80i is actually quite in the price range, they are available at lynx for 7000-ish. But, they arent circumaural and i have no idea how much power is needed to drive them properly.

I have basically included the siberia and the megadolon coz they are more "consumer" headsets, and not exotic. That means, i will have a better probability of being satisfied by them, as they target a MUCH wider audience. Plus (somewhat a minus too) the megadolon has the fancy maelstrom.

The AD700's are easier to drive? I dont know about that, but a few years back when i was researching DAC's and amps, i found that ppl usually compared their AD700's and they said that non-amp performance was jack.

The last thing is, i really dont have the money to buy a good DAC/amp, i'll be holding off on that purchase for abt an year. I can maybe fit an e5 into my budget, so would it be worth it? will it cause a difference that is noticeable? will it be enough?
Old 03-05-11   #10
teh nuB!
Gone Days Come Back.

jamil is very Honorablejamil is very Honorable

Bump? i dont even know if this is valid.
Old 03-05-11   #11
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
getting into competitive CS
1.6 once more

BULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly Famed

^

Get the AD700 along with Fiio E5 amplifier and you are good to go.
i7 4790k @ 4 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus VII Ranger, 2 * 8 GB Corsair Vengeance pro 2133 Mhz, Asus GTX 970 Strix, Seasonic 1050 XM Gold, Samsung pro 256 GB ssd, 3 TB + storage, NZXT phantom, Steelseries Apex, Coolermaster Sentinel II Advance, League Of Legends Mousepad, NZXT Sentry, NZXT Hue, Asus pb298q
BULLZI is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply